A shocked Honduran mother discovered almost too late that her baby girl was not dead, as a hospital had claimed.
During her 7-month-old baby’s funeral this week in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, Ivis Montoya said she noticed that her baby girl was breathing, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the report:
Baby Keilin Johanna Ortiz Montoya, had been admitted to the Rivas hospital in Villanueva with convulsions, diarrhea, severe hydration and blistered skin caused by a bacterial infection on August 3. …
Despite intensive treatment at the hospital’s paediatric unit, Keilin was pronounced dead three days later on Monday morning at 9am, and the corresponding death certificate was reportedly issued.
Ivis, who is poor, said she could not afford a full funeral or even a coffin; so they placed her baby girl’s body on a chair in a local church for the funeral.
But as the grieving mother watched her baby girl’s body, she said she noticed that Keilin was breathing. Quickly, she said she rushed her daughter to a local medical clinic, not trusting the hospital that pronounced her dead.
Keilin was treated and then quickly taken to the hospital intensive care unit for further treatment, according to the report.
A spokesperson for the hospital said they are investigating the incident.