Late summer is the best time to use garden produce! I absolutely love to stroll the farmers market for beautiful fruits and vegetables. It’s even better when you can plan your meals around what is in season, but of course, that takes some planning.
Stuffed peppers can sound a little intimidating, but this recipe is sort of a “hack”. It calls for v8 juice and a box of rice-a-roni and the ingredient list is only six items!
It is so simple to throw together, but it does need several hours to simmer on the stove.
Try to find large peppers big enough to stuff and hold up while cooking. I place them into a dutch oven to cook, but you can use any large stockpot. The v8 juice gives the cooked peppers a perfect flavor, but you can substitute tomato juice.
SUMMER STUFFED PEPPERS
4-6 large green peppers
2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
1 chopped onion
Salt & pepper
1 box rice-a-roni (any flavor, you won’t use the seasoning)
64 oz. V8 juice
1. Cut the tops off of the green peppers and remove seeds
2. In a mixing bowl, combine raw ground meat, rice from the rice-a-roni (not the seasoning packet), chopped onion, and generous salt & pepper
3. Stuff meat mixture into peppers, filling to the top of the pepper
4. Place in a large dutch oven, sitting upright, and pour v8 juice over the peppers.
5. Bring to simmer and cook for 2-3 hours, basting peppers with the liquid every 20 minutes.
April & Abby from everydaytable.org